Why spend $5-$10 for name brand cleaners when you can get baking soda and white vinegar for a couple of dollars! Baking soda and white vinegar are powerful natural cleaners that are environmentally friendly. They can be used in hundreds of ways all over your home!
White Vinegar Uses:
- Kills germs
- Cleans stainless steel
- Eliminates odors
- you can clean your litter box with vinegar to remove leftover cat odors
- if your pet had an accident on the carpet or floor, it can be used to neutralize pet odors
- once I accidentally bought a shirt that smelled like smoke from thrift store and thought, “oh great, this smell is never going to come out”, but I soaked it in white vinegar for an hour and the smoke smell was gone!
- Removes mineral, lime and charcoal buildup
- Great for scrubbing around the stove burners, destroys stubborn stains that most cleaning supplies have a hard time removing.
- Bathroom cleaner — wipe away scum and mildew with ease!
- Use as a toothpaste to brighten teeth
- Add to dishwasher to eliminate hard water stains and make dishes shiny!
- Clean and descale a Keurig
- Acts as a clothing stain remover
- Unclogs drains
- Steam cleans microwave
- and much more!!
Baking Soda Uses:
- Clean and brighten floors. Dissolve ½ cup baking soda in a bucket of warm water
- Clean the oven (sprinkle on with water & let it sit overnight)
- Use with laundry detergent to get a deeper clean
- Great for hair and moisturizing the body
- Remove tough stains from pots and pans
- Clean toothbrush – mixture of ¼ cup baking soda and ¼ cup water;
- Fridge cleaning
- Antacid to relieve heartburn (1/2 teaspoon + 1/2 cup of water)
- To clean a toilet, add ¼ cup baking soda to the bowl, swirl, then scrub.
- Add baking soda to icy sidewalks―it’s less corrosive as salt.
- Keep your grill clean all summer long by putting some baking soda on a damp brush and scrubbing
- Freshen rugs and carpet by sprinkling baking soda on carpet, wait 1 hour, then vacuum up.
- Clean the dishwasher and coffeemaker by running an empty cycle with baking soda.
- Extinguish a grease fire by scattering a handful of baking soda over the flames
For specific cleaning recipes using baking soda and vinegar, check out http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/20-diy-green-cleaning-recipes-141129
Tip 1: Baking soda and vinegar have a lot of the same uses and can be combined for extra cleaning power, particularly for scrubbing the stove, removing odors and unclogging drains.
Tip 2: Baking soda and vinegar’s usefulness extends beyond just cleaning. It can be used in health and beauty as well!
Tip 3: Add lemon juice for a fresh scent
Buy in bulk to save even more money. You will be able to clean your house for a whole year with these products!