This chicken and stuffing casserole is a quick and easy dinner recipe that is perfect for busy weeknights. Shredded chicken and diced vegetables are combined in a creamy sauce, topped with savory stuffing and baked in the oven for 30 minutes. This casserole recipe is comfort food at its finest and is a perfect dinner idea for cold, winter nights.
The best part of this recipe is that it is super easy to make with common ingredients that you most likely already have on hand so it’s a great spur of the moment dinner idea when you can’t decide what to make!
How to Make This Chicken and Stuffing Casserole?
- Cook and shred chicken (you can prep this ahead of time or use a rotisserie chicken to save time).
- Dice and sauté the vegetables.
- Prepare stuffing.
- Combine everything but the stuffing into a casserole dish.
- Add stuffing mix on top of casserole.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
What are the Ingredients?
This recipe is comprised of easy ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry and fridge.
- shredded chicken
- cream of chicken
- chicken broth
- celery, carrots, onion and garlic
- stuffing mix
How to Customize This Chicken and Stuffing Casserole?
This casserole recipe is very customizable and the possibilities are nearly endless, but here are some good ways to change this recipe up:
- Substitute turkey for chicken. This casserole would be an excellent choice to use up leftover turkey and stuffing after thanksgiving.
- Switch up the vegetables.
- mixed vegetables
- cut green beans
- Use different “cream of” soups or make some from scratch. “cream of” mushroom, celery and chicken with herbs soups would work.
- Kick it up a notch with fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary and sage would be great choices).
- Add shredded mozzarella on top for an extra layer of flavor.
- Use breadcrumbs on the top of the casserole instead of stuffing.
- Add garlic and onion powder in place of fresh if you don’t have any on hand.
What to Serve with This Chicken and Stuffing Casserole?
- mashed potatoes with chicken gravy
- southern green beans
- steamed broccoli
- dinner rolls
- garlic bread
- side salad
Store & Reheat
This casserole makes great leftovers. All you have to do is cover the casserole dish with plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator. To reheat, just microwave it for a few minutes per serving!
Chicken and Stuffing Casserole
- 3 small chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 1 small onion diced
- 4 stalks celery diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cans cream of chicken
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or milk
- 1 box stove top chicken stuffing
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Melt butter in small skillet on medium-high heat and then add the diced vegetables and seasonings to the pan.
- Sauté the vegetables for 4-5 mintues or until they are tender. Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds longer.
- Combine sautéed vegetables, shredded chicken, cream of chicken soups, and heavy cream in a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a small pot. Remove from heat. Add the stuffing mix to the chicken broth and fluff with a fork.
- Add the stuffing mix to the top of the casserole
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly.