Add some farmhouse flair to your home decor on a budget with this DIY Dollar Store Farmhouse Sign. This wooden farmhouse decoration only costs $5 in supplies so you can give your home a rustic touch without breaking the bank.
The sign is made from a stretched canvas and paint sticks. Both of which you can get for a dollar each. The paint sticks can be found at any home improvement store while the canvas came from Dollar Tree. The chalk paint I got for a couple dollars at Micheals with a half off coupon. I used the FolkArt Home Decor Chalk Paint in White Adirondack. This paint has great coverage and gives it a chalky matte finish. The chalk paint, shiplap background, and galvanized word gives it farmhouse charm.
This dollar store craft takes less than 30 minutes (not counting the time it takes for the paint to dry). It’s quick and easy to make! All you do it paint the wood and glue it together. It’s that simple.
You can add accents to it such as a burlap bow, cotton picks, or leave it as is. You don’t have to use twine for hanging, you could use a ribbon instead or just nail it into the wall. This sign would look great in the entryway or as part of a gallery wall. Add some decorative accents and you could even use it as a door hanger to welcome visitors.
DIY Dollar Store Farmhouse Sign
Dollar Store Farmhouse Wood Sign
- 1 hot glue gun and 1 glue stick
- 1 8X10 stretched canvas
- 9 1 qt. paint sticks you can find them at a home improvement store for $1 a pack
- 1 piece rope for hanging
- 1 metal word
- 1 oz chalk paint
- Remove the canvas from the wood frame by pulling it off. Dont worry about removing the staples because they will be in the back where they can't be seen.
- Paint your wood frame and 9 of the paint sticks
- Once the paint is dry, add a dab of glue to each end of the paint sticks and put them across the wood frame. You can add a slight space in between the sticks to give it that shiplap look.
- Glue the metal word in the middle of your sign. I added a small amount of glue underneath every other word to make sure it stays in place. Be careful not to use too much glue so it doesn't seep through where it can be seen.
- Add any optional accents that you wish (burlap bows, floral picks, etc.)