This Instant Pot Philly Cheesesteak is an easy dinner idea for busy weeknights. It’s a quick meal that takes less than 30 minutes to make. The whole family will love this delicious sandwich, which has zesty and tender beef, green bell peppers, and onions. It is topped with melted provolone cheese and put in a garlic butter slathered hoagie roll.
This is a dump and go instant pot recipe. All you have to do aside from putting the cheesesteak mixture in the instant pot is toast the roll and melt the cheese. This sandwich is the ultimate comfort food and is sure to become a family favorite in regular rotation. It’s also a good recipe choice for game day.
For this recipe, I used a pre-shaved steak (Old Neighborhood brand) that can be found in the meat department (not the freezer section) at ALDI, Walmart or Target. It comes out extremely tender in the instant pot and requires less cooking time since it is shaved very thin so I highly recommend it for this recipe. Just make sure you break it up really well so there’s no big lumps of meat. This is to ensure that it cooks evenly.
If you are slicing your own steak, put the steak in the freezer for 30 minutes before slicing it. Then, either sear the steak for 5 minutes before cooking it or add a few extra minutes to the cook time because it will be thicker and therefore take longer to cook.
How to Make This Instant Pot Philly Cheesesteak
- Add beef, onions, green peppers, Italian seasoning mix, and garlic to instant pot and cook for 7 minutes with a 10 minute NPR.
- Add garlic butter to rolls and toast them in the oven for 5 minutes at 350F.
- Put cheesesteak mixture on rolls.
- Top with cheese.
- Put the hoagies in the broiler for a few minutes until cheese is melted.
There is some leftover seasoned beef broth that would make a great dip for your sandwiches for added flavor!
Below is the recipe card for more detailed instructions.
What to Serve with This Instant Pot Philly Cheesesteak
- side salad
- onion rings
- potato chips
- potato salad
- pasta salad
Instant Pot Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich
- pressure cooker
- 1 lb shaved steak
- 2 green peppers sliced
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 packet dry Italian salad dressing mix Good Seasons brand
- 1 cup beef broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices Provolone cheese
- 4 hoagie rolls
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp italian seasoning
- 4 tbsp butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Pour the broth, italian seasoning mix and garlic cloves into the instant pot and mix it together.
- Add the steak, green onions and onioins and stir. Make sure to break up any clumps of steak so that it will cook evenly. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Cook on manual 7 minutes.
- While the steak mixture is cooking, mix the melted butter, italian seasoning, garlic and onion powder in a small bowl. Slice each roll down the center and slather the seasoned butter on the hoagie rolls.
- Toast for about 5 minutes in the oven until the rolls are warmed through and lightly crisp.
- After the instant pot beeps, allow the pot to naturally release pressure for 10 minutes. Then, release the pressure and open the lid.
- Using a slotted spoon so the juices run off, scoop the cheesesteak mixture onto the rolls.
- Top each roll with two slices of cheese. Put the hoagie rolls on a sheet pan.
- Turn the broiler on high and place the hoagie rolls in the oven for 2-3 minutes or until cheese becomes melted and bubbly.