Decorate for Christmas on a budget with this Dollar Store DIY Christmas Tree. It only costs $3 to make and takes less than 30 minutes to complete so it’s a cheap and easy Christmas craft project that would be perfect for kids and adults alike.
Supplies for Dollar Store DIY Christmas Tree:
All these supplies can be found at Dollar Tree.
- foam cone
- 2 packs of wired garland ties
- green acrylic paint ($0.50 at Walmart)
- mini Christmas bows, tiny ornaments like bells, gem stickers, or Christmas pom poms, battery operated LED lights, etc. (optional)
Difficulty Level: Easy
Time: 30 minutes
Instructions Dollar Store DIY Christmas Tree:
- Paint the foam cone green and let it dry.
- While you are waiting, cut your garland ties into 0.5, 1 inch, 1.5 inch, 2 inch, 2.5 inch, 3 inch and 3.5 inch pieces. It is best to cut them on top of a trash bag for easy clean-up. They make quite a mess. I don’t know exactly how many of each one that I used because I cut them as I went along, but I used two bags of the garland ties to cover the tree.
- Start at the top of the tree with the 0.5 inch garland pieces and just poke them into the foam cone at a downward angle. Make sure that no gaps are visible. Use the small ones for the first two rows or so and then move on to the 1 inch and repeat the process for the next few rows, making sure that each row is slightly longer than the next one.
- Continue this process with all of the garland ties. The 3.5 inch pieces go on the bottom row.
- For the top of the Christmas tree, I stuck a 1 inch garland tie vertically in the center and used 0.5 inch ones around them.
- Now that your Christmas tree is complete, you can decorate it however you want.
- For display, I used a red doily as a tree skirt, faux snow & little foam Christmas gifts.
Here are some other decoration ideas:
- thin ribbon for a garland
- mini bows
- faux snow
- little bells for ornaments
- tiny pom poms for ornaments
- shiny gem stickers for ornaments
- you could use a wood log or candle stick holder or small terra cotta pot for the tree base.