Decorate for valentines day on a budget with this Dollar Store Valentine’s Day lantern. You can create this Valentine’s Day decoration for less than $10 and 15 minutes of your time so its a perfect easy Valentine’s Day craft project to do.
Supplies for DIY Dollar Store Valentine’s Day Lantern:
- hot glue gun and glue sticks
- red sand or faux snow for the bottom of the lantern
- 4 picture frames
- cardboard or foam board
- sharp scissors
- figurines, candles, roses, or other valentines day decor items
Total Cost: $8
Time: 15 minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy
Instructions for DIY Dollar Store Valentine’s Day Lantern:
- Remove the plastic, frame back and picture inserts from the picture frames.
- If you don’t want the little tabs to show, you can pull them back and glue the glass to the frame or if it doesn’t bother you, then you can just put the tabs back down to hold the glass in place.
- Glue the corners of the picture frames together. Hold together firmly until each frame dries (about a minute). Be generous with the glue because you want it to hold up well.
- Trace and cut the outline of the box onto the cardboard or foam board. Tip: if your picture frame backing is strong enough to hold your decor items, you can just use that to save some money.
- Cut out the outline, erase pencil markings and glue the foam board to the bottom of the box.
- Pour your snow in the box and arrange your decor pieces where you want them.
- You can also add some lighting to your lantern to create a magical effect (tea light candles, fairy lights, battery operated LED lights, etc.)
There is a lot of room for creativity on this project. You can paint the frame any color you want and put anything you want inside! It can be used as a Valentine’s Day centerpiece or even given as Valentine’s Day gift!